Widget not in any sidebars
An update on the situation surrounding the controversial Tweet published and subsequently deleted by Manchester City star Bernardo Silva earlier this week has emerged online this afternoon.
Silva’s social media storm
On the back of netting the first hat-trick of his Citizens’ career last weekend versus Watford, Portuguese international Silva took to social media.
The 25-year-old posted a Tweet, comparing a photo of teammate Benjamin Mendy as a youngster to the character featured on the front of the bag for Conguitos, a brand of chocolates in his native Portugal.
Bernardo Silva has fully fucked it hasn’t he😭😭😭😭😭 pic.twitter.com/Dowf1r0Gcm
— reece. (@ReeceCoopxr_) September 22, 2019
The Tweet, as showcased above, was quickly deleted, following an inevitable backlash across social media.
Silva, though, subsequently moved to defend himself, by arguing that his post was intended as little more than a joke between friends, which he feels was taken out of context:
Can’t even joke with a friend these days… You guys… 🤦🏻♂️
— Bernardo Silva (@BernardoCSilva) September 22, 2019
Reports over the last couple of days, though, suggested that the FA had not taken the situation lightly, with Silva under threat of a potential 6-game ban.
As such, the former Monaco man has today moved to clear his name.
As confirmed by reliable Manchester City journalist Sam Lee, Silva has issued a letter to the FA, in which he ‘expressed regret’ for any offence his Tweet may have caused.
Benjamin Mendy, meanwhile, has also moved to defend his teammate:
Bernardo Silva submitted a personally written letter to the FA yesterday, in which he expressed regret for any unintentional offence caused, stressing that that was not his intention. Mendy has also issued a supporting statement and says he did not take offence.
— Sam Lee (@SamLee) September 27, 2019
- Ikhsan Fandi's stock continues to rise October 18, 2019He scored a thumping header in Singapore's 3-1 loss to Uzbekistan and was arguably Singapore's best player...Alif Chandra
- Hariss Harun on the verge of completing a century of caps for Singapore October 18, 2019The Malaysia-based midfielder also holds the record for Singapore's youngest ever debutantAlif Chandra
- Napoli duo Mertens and Callejon warned over possible China move October 18, 2019The attackers have been told not to chase the money as they enter the twilight of their careersJosh Thomas
- Home United women's team claim bronze in Women's Cup Challenge October 18, 2019Home United women's team ended their season by defeating Tiong Bahru FC 2-1Alif Chandra
- Napoli president concedes Koulibaly sale inevitable despite turning down €105m October 18, 2019The man in charge of the Italian side is aware he'll have to cash in on the club's star defender at some pointSacha Pisani